See my Easter Dinner post for a description of this recipe.
6 egg yolks
1-1/4 cups sugar
1-1/4 cup mascarpone
1-3/4 cups whipping cream
large store-bought package Ladyfingers (Savoiardi-type)
1/3 cup espresso coffee
1/3 cup rum (or other liqueur)
unsweetened cocoa powder, for garnish
chocolate curls, enough to garnish
- In a small mixer bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and lemon-colored, about 1 minute.
- Place in top of double boiler over boiling water.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Add mascarpone cheese, beating well.
- In small mixer bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into egg yolk mixture; set aside.
- In small bowl mix together coffee and rum.
- Line bottom and side of 2-1/2 to 3-quart bowl or souffle dish with ladyfingers that have been quickly dipped in the coffee/rum mixture.
- Spoon half of egg yolk-cream mixture into ladyfinger-lined bowl.
- Repeat ladyfingers, espresso and cream layers.
- Garnish with cocoa and chocolate curls on top.
- Cover and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Serves about 6-8 people